Contributing to Fundación Jocotoco
The Jocotoco Foundation provides an opportunity for individuals to help establish a legacy of bird conservation in one of the world's most bird-rich areas.
The Jocotoco Foundation is a registered non-profit organisation in Ecuador. It is an approved project of World Land Trust-US a conservation organisation with nearly 20 years experience establishing protected reserves around the world.
Jocotoco Foundation is also supported by American Bird Conservancy and International Conservation Fund of Canada which are public charities, in the US and Canada respectively, and which also accept contributions in support of its work. If you wish to make a donation please do so through one of these partner organisations.
Your contribution can help protect and secure critical threatened bird habitat for future generations. In making a contribution you will also promote a community-based conservation model that can benefit birds and people the world over.
In many of the areas we have targeted, land is generally of marginal agricultural value and can be purchased for US$250/ha (US$100/acre). US$5,000 can add a significant block of forest to an existing reserve. US$25,000 can purchase a 100 ha (250 acre) farm with most of its habitat intact. US$250,000 can secure the core area of a reserve.
Other areas of critical importance to protect and endangered bird or important biodiversity have high land values. In order to protect the birds that live there we are obliged to purchase these properties which can cost up to $1500/ha. While these land cost are higher, it often means the land is closer to towns and communities. This provides us with the opportunity to reach out to those communities through some of our environmental education and conservation community development programs.
We encourage you to contact us and become involved with our efforts. Depending where you live, please contact:
If you live in the USA: Please contact or send a donation to us through our partner in the US, the World Land Trust-US in one of the following ways:
- To Contact: Please contact Robert Ridgely or David Agro, care of the WLT-US office in Washington (address: World Land Trust-US, 25 Horner St, Warrenton, VA 20186) or by e-mail: email@example.com. Please put Jocotoco in the subject line.
- To Donate: You can send a check by “snail mail” to Robert Ridgely or David Agro, care of the WLT-US office in Washington (address: World Land Trust-US, 25 Horner St, Warrenton, VA 20186) or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put Jocotoco in the subject line.
- If you want to donate online using the secure connection of the WLT-US, please log onto the website http://www.worldlandtrust-us.org and click the orange donate button on the left hand side of the screen.
- If you prefer to contribute stocks or securities, please contact Jaclyn Sharratt-Smith, at the WLT-US office in Washington, at the above address or phone him at +1 800-456-4930 to discuss the options.
If you live in Europe:Please contact or send a donation to us through one of the following ways:
- Contact: Nigel Simpson c/o World Land Trust, Blyth House, Bridge Street, Halesworth, Suffolk IP19 8AB by e-mailing email@example.com.
- To Donate: In the UK, you can make an online donation to our work through our partners in the UK, World Land Trust: https://support.worldlandtrust.org/form.asp?id=632
- By telephone: you can telephone your donation using a credit card: 01986 874 422 during normal office hours
- By post: Please send your cheque (payable to World Land Trust) to the World Land Trust, Blyth House, Bridge Street, Halesworth, Suffolk IP19 8AB. Please state that your donation is earmarked for Fundación Jocotoco.
If you live in Canada: Please contact or send a donation to us through our partner in Canada, the International Conservation Fund of Canada in one of the following ways
- Contact: Please contact David Agro at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To donate by mail or online: For those based in Canada you can make an online donation to our work through the International Conservation Fund of Canada: http://icfcanada.org/donate.shtm
Making a direct donation to the Jocotoco Foundation in Ecuador:
- Contact: Please contact Rocio Merino at email@example.com. Otherwise, Please send a cheque by post to:
Lizardo García E9-104 y Andrés Xaura,
Tel: +593 2 2505212/2505841,
Fax: +593 2 2505212 ext. 108.